Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Trials Make Us Who We Are

Nobody enjoys difficult times, we always wish we could rush through them.  Looking back on the first 17 years of my life as an "adult," I see all the difficult times I have waded through and how it has shaped me into the person I am today.  God has truly made diamonds out of dust in my life, for out of the mire has emerged an abundant life.  I hope by sharing some of the trials I have waded through I can provide hope to others that they will come out on the other side, a new person refined by the fire they have endured.  The quicker we can turn to God in times of trouble, the easier the burdens are to bear.  I know that there are more difficulties ahead, but with a more solid foundation in God I hope they will be easier to face.

I will admit I had a pretty easy childhood.  The baby of 5 children, I had 2 loving parents that were quite involved in all of our lives while also giving us space.  Both of my parents were well known within the community, volunteering as coaches and as part of the PTA.  We were raised in the Catholic church but allowed to choose our own church after confirmation.  Three of us chose to attend an Assembly of God church for a while, where we developed a different relationship with God than had been taught to us as children.

I watched some of my siblings deal with difficult things as they got older and I chose to learn from their struggles.  We all went through some minor difficult times - broken bones, car accidents, broken relationships.  But as we got older these difficult times seemed to only grow.  Looking back it seems like God has tried to call me to Him throughout my adult life, helping me to learn about Him through every trial.  I hope by sharing the pain and anguish that I worked my way through, I can help at least one other person to move a little more quickly through their own trials to the peace that God can provide to those that truly seek Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment