Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Asking Questions

Sometimes I get tired of asking questions on behalf of my kids. This week I've had to ask many again. I've been blessed with some positive responses at least.

Why did the gymnastics change the class level without informing us? 20 minutes conversation with the gym owner and my 13yo now has a spot on Xcel silver and gets to do what she was hoping for this school year.

How is my daughter doing in counseling? I question often in my head if I created the terrible relationship between my kids and their father. Because when you get told that constantly (by him), you start to wonder if it's true. But I spoke to her counselor today for an hour. I asked how I can help my daughter move forward. I specifically asked if there was anything I'm doing that's a problem. I was told to just keep listening and affirming. I was reassured that I am doing what is necessary. The counselor agreed that they will work on how my daughter can set boundaries so her father's actions don't impact her self worth so much. Because it's hard to repeatedly be told through actions that you don't matter. And it's hard to be told often that your memory of events is wrong. 

Tomorrow I will ask about math placement for my son. What class he's in just doesn't make sense. And quite frankly, the school is asking for behavior problems with the placement. But maybe there's something I'm missing? 

But for once in countless years I would like things to just run smoothly. I'm tired of calling out the careless mistakes of others that negatively impact my kids. Why can't people do their jobs properly the first time? At least with my youngest I won't have to ask questions about school until about high school. I don't think I'm better than other people, I just recognize that I am often the only one that cares about the outcome for my kids and is willing to listen to what is going on inside of them. For now, I'm just so very weary in this role. God, take control while rest a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment